“Empaths who feel like old souls that have lived for many lifetimes are known as Indigo Children.”
― Aletheia Luna
I’ve been doing some research on what it means to be an Empath. During my search I came across the above quote which made me dive even deeper. I’ve been told by multiple people that I am wise beyond my years; that I’m an old soul. I’ve also always felt this since of pride about myself. I know who I am and what I’m worth. It may have taken me a while to accept it…but I know. I have this since of purpose, like I’m meant to be here, doing what I’m doing. Loving who I’m loving. And most recently I’ve found a love for leadership (leading from the middle as I like to say). There are things I wish to change. Minds I want to challenge. It’s all quite new and scary, but this is me, it’s always been me.
My favorite color started out as purple. Any purple really. I quickly changed to orange shortly after Nate and I started dating. So.. for roughly 14 years it’s been orange. Kay and I have been looking into chakra work together. She has all sorts of healing crystals and fun things to share. (I’m so grateful for her counselor. She talks to Kay about the most amazing ways to heal and suggests books to read, and then Kay comes to me and spills her guts about all kinds of cool things she’s read. It really gets me goin’.) Anyway- I’ve noticed my favorite color started to shift. I’m not feeling so attracted to orange anymore. I’ve really been loving blues. Specifically blues mixed with purples…er go Indigo. Indigo is the color of the sixth chakra (Ajna-knowledge) which is also called the third eye chakra. Without going into too much detail (that’s a whole other post…or multiple posts) the third eye chakra is indicative of wisdom, peace, and spiritual understanding; which is what being an Empath is all about. Are you getting all the connections? I hope so.
All I want for anyone is to be able to live in a world full of peace, love, and understanding. Correct me if I’m wrong, but…don’t we all deserve that? At least from the moment we take our first breath; don’t we all deserve that fighting chance? As an Empath I feel a sense of obligation to help my fellow humans attain that. The only issue with that is balance. I have a few things I need to take care of before I can help. I’m not talking about going out there and fixing the worlds problems- that’s silly. But what isn’t so silly is starting a ripple effect that can move mountains. That’s real change.
- Learn to say ‘no’ when it’s appropriate. It’s not your job to help everyone all the time. You are number one.
- SELF-CARE! Whatever that looks like to you, DO IT. Get your selfish on.
- Take emotional breaks. If you’re taking on someone else’s feelings too hard, express it and try to let go (detach).
- Realize you can’t fix everyone. Be in tune with what you can and cannot do.
- Set personal boundaries. This sort of goes with saying ‘no’, but can mean so much more. For example: you don’t have to allow people into your life that drain your energy constantly…no matter how much you desire to help them. If it is of no benefit to YOU, set those boundaries. If that person you set boundaries with gets upset…it says a hell of a lot more about them than it does about you. Usually people get pissed off with boundaries when they can no longer control you.
- Get in tune with Mother Nature. She’s really good at renewing the soul. Something that is so great about being in West Michigan is the lake. Water is so renewing; cleansing. The dunes are a perfect place to take a moment and reflect. Take a hike through the woods, go *rustic* camping, lay out in the grass…just…connect. Root down.
- Maintain a proper diet and exercise. This one is hard for me. Not so much diet, but exercise has been lacking heavily in my world. I do a lot of stretching, though…and that helps greatly. I know I should get back into Yoga and getting a new daily routine down. Ugh. First world problems, am I right?!
*These are just a few suggestions that I have based on what I’m learning about being an Empath. There are TONS of sites I’ve found that have many, many suggestions about how to be an effective Empath. Honestly, I think it comes down to self-care. There’s nothing more important to an Empath than taking a beat and getting our self-care on. I know Kay and I have mentioned it numerous times. Guess what?! We are going to continue to preach about self-care. YOU are numero uno. YOU are the most important person in your little world. YOU. There’s only one you. I pray, even if you aren’t an Empath, that you learn to love yourself above all else. Because when you can love yourself first, you have power to love others in such an amazing way. That ripple effect, baby! It’s all about balance.